The FRIDA Grants support new initiatives that seek to test innovative strategies to promote Internet access and the use of technologies to encourage economic and social development in the region.
The aim of these grants is to support ideas and projects in their initial stages of development. If your initiative is already underway, we invite you to consider applying for an award or a scale-up grant.
Project proposals must meet the following requirements:
- Technological Component: All project proposals must have a technological component through which they seek to solve a social issue.
- Innovation: Proposed solutions must be innovative, i.e., they must present new strategies, ideas, methods and processes that respond to the social needs of the communities they seek to serve.
- Social impact: Proposed solutions must seek to create social value and prove how they will meet the needs of their specific target communities.
Each grant will consist of US$20,000. Selected projects must be executed within a period of twelve months.
Call for Proposals 2019: Technology and Gender
The gender divide in technology remains a challenge in Latin America and the Caribbean. The FRIDA Program will offer a USD 20,000 grant for the deployment of an innovative solution that focuses on the promotion of gender equality and women’s leadership in technology and the Internet industry. Click here for more information on this thematic category.
Priority will be given to initiatives working on:
- The development of digital skills among women and girls (coding, network management and security, IPv6, Big Data, Robotics, Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence, and Cloud Computing, among others).
- Women’s participation in digital markets and their access to employment opportunities in technology.
- The implementation of strategies to defend digital rights and increase online security and the inclusion of women and girls.
- Women’s involvement in the deployment of Internet infrastructure to promote Internet access and adoption.
Projects must be led by a woman. Likewise, priority will be given to submissions by teams made up mostly of women.
How to Apply and Key Dates
Click here to submit your project through FRIDA’s Application Platform: https://programafrida.net/en/frida-application-platform. Note: Proposals will be received until 15 May at 23:59 Uruguay time (UTC-3).
The 2019 call for proposals will be divided into two stages. In the first stage, applicants must submit a summary of their project through FRIDA’s Application Platform. Only shortlisted projects will move on to the second stage, during which the submission of a more extensive proposal will be required. The members of the selection committee responsible for assessing the projects submitted in 2019 will be Carolina Aguerre and Carlos Rey Moreno.
- Call for proposals opens: Monday 1st April 2019.
- Deadline for submitting proposal summaries: Wednesday 15 May 2019 at 23:59 (UTC-3).
- Announcement of shortlisted projects: Monday 10 June 2019.
- Submission of detailed proposals for shortlisted projects: Monday 10 June to Friday 28 June 2019.
- Announcement of results: Monday 5 August 2019.
Before submitting your proposal, we recommend you read our frequently asked questions. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.