The FRIDA Awards seek to recognize innovative technological solutions with proven social impact in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The winning initiatives will have three main characteristics:
- Technological Component: Project proposals must have a technological component through which they seek to solve social issues.
- Innovation: Proposed solutions must be innovative, i.e., they must present new strategies, ideas, methods and processes that respond to social needs and can strengthen their target communities.
- Proven Impact: The winners will be selected among initiatives with proven impact. In other words, initiatives must present indicators and evidence proving the creation of value for their target communities. If your idea has not yet been implemented or is in its initial stages, we invite you to consider submitting your project to the FRIDA Grants program.
The FRIDA Award consists of a cash prize of USD 5,000 plus a fellowship for a representative of the winning project to participate in the 2019 Internet Governance Forum, which will be held in Berlin, Germany.
Call for Proposals 2019: Community Networks
In 2019, the FRIDA program will offer one award to a consolidated Community Network with proven impact. Click here for more information on the Community Networks thematic category.
Community Networks provide a form of organization for remote, currently underserved communities to help them develop local Internet access solutions. Within the context of this call for projects, the term ‘Community Networks’ refers to Internet access networks built and operated by citizens who wish to connect their local community, town or city.
FRIDA will offer one award to a project or organization that has contributed to community network development in Latin America and the Caribbean by working in one or more of the following areas:
- Innovation in business models for the development and consolidation of community networks.
- Technical solutions, including device development and enhancements to improve network management.
- Local content development to promote a use of the Internet that responds to relevant and meaningful needs of new users.
- The promotion of regulations that enable and encourage community network development.
The Award will be allocated to a project or organization working to develop affordable, locally-managed community networks and deploying creative low-cost solutions to bring connectivity to regions without Internet service.
For more information on what constitutes a Community Network, we recommend you check out the following description published by the Internet Society: https://www.internetsociety.org/issues/community-networks/.
How to Apply and Key Dates
The FRIDA Awards support ongoing initiatives or completed projects which are able to submit concrete evidence of their impact. This means that projects pending execution or which are about to begin will not be accepted.
Click here to submit your project through FRIDA’s Application Platform: https://programafrida.net/en/frida-application-platform. Note: Proposals will be received until 15 May at 23:59 Uruguay time (UTC-3).
The 2019 call for proposals will be divided into two stages. In the first stage, applicants must submit a summary of their project through FRIDA’s Application Platform. Only shortlisted projects will move on to the second stage, during which the submission of a more extensive proposal will be required. The members of the selection committee responsible for assessing the projects submitted in 2019 will be Carolina Aguerre and Carlos Rey Moreno.
- Call for proposals opens: Monday 1st April 2019.
- Deadline for submitting proposal summaries: Wednesday 15 May 2019 at 23:59 (UTC-3).
- Announcement of shortlisted projects: Monday 10 June 2019.
- Submission of detailed proposals for shortlisted projects: Monday 10 June to Friday 28 June 2019
- Announcement of results: Monday 5 August 2019.
Before submitting your proposal, we recommend you read our frequently asked questions . If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.